Monday, January 8, 2007

Quilting Supply list

Mike asks:
I want to make a quilt but I don't know where to start.

I really recommend taking a beginning quilting class at your local quilt shop - or craft store. It is the easiest way to learn all the tricks, tips, and shortcuts. Most beginning classes will teach you about fabrics, how to use the latest tools, how to cut and sew accurately (a must in quilting) and will help you make your quilt sandwich, then quilt and bind it. That said, I never took a beginner class myself. I bought a good book and I had the phone on speed-dial to one of my quilty friends. If you are going to buy a book to teach yourself look for one that has a single quilt pattern and has good step by step instructions. The book should cover what supplies you need but here's my list:
A rotary cutter and self-healing mat
A gridded ruler, 6"x24"
Flat flower or glass head pins
A 1/4" foot for your sewing machine
Walking or even feed foot for your sewing machine
Quilter's safety pins (1")
Iron

Have fun!
Anne

No comments: