Tuesday, March 20, 2007

How to add glitter to a ice skate boot cover

Rebecca says:
My daughter is going to be in an upcoming iceshow where she is going to be Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. I have bought her red skate covers, which are made of spandex/lycra. I need to make them look like "ruby slippers". Any ideas on how I can make this happen? Should I use glitter glue or an adhesive glue with glitter and sequins? Thanks.

Wow! I'm not really sure I'd TRUST the glitter glue to stick thoroughly. For one thing, it's possible the skates will have residual ice thrown upon them as she's skating, and the resulting dampness may cause the glitter glue to react. I think I'd go with the adhesive glue & glitter plus sequins. Sounds more durable for what you need. (And I surely do wish I could see your daughter's performance! I LOVE ice skating & no one could go wrong choosing Dorothy as a character to be! Please, tell her I wish her a lovely performance!)

Hope this helps,
Kai

Judi here adding her two cents worth ...
I am concerned about the flexibility of the spandex if you use a glue on it. Looking at photos of the boot cover it doesn't seem to have to stretch too much but it's hard to tell from a photo. Please keep this in mind when you glitter. Plus you want to make sure the glue doesn't seep through the spandex and end up with the cover stuck to the boot of the skate. So you might want to put wax paper between the boot cover and the boot. Personally I would use the Tulip Fabric Glitter Spray which is a fabric paint. It is non-aerosol, colorfast, non-toxic and almost no odor. I would stretch the boot cover over the boot and spray. I would still protect the boot with paper toweling or something between the boot and the cover. Plus cover the blade too. Then you can probably sew some sequins on. Let us know what you end up doing!


1 comment:

marycelery said...

I guess I would be very concerned with the glitter and sequins coming off during the performances. I would take red lace or red sequins stretchy fabric and sew it on the tip and the heel of the skate. The sequins would "flash" in the light. Although up close it would look a bit uneven, from the ice, it should read well.

Applying anything to shoes for performance isn't a good idea. I have never had anything glued to a shoe last throughout the performance.

Just my two cents.....Mary