Thursday, March 22, 2007

What type of temporary adhesive can you use on wood?

Jen S. says:
I will be doing a presentation where I will encourage my participants to experiment decorating a maple basket with maple trim strips and lightweight metal findings. I am looking for a temporary adhesive that I can apply to the back of the trims so that participants can stick them to the basket and see what it looks like, but then remove them so another participant may have a turn. It must not stain or otherwise mar the wooden basket. Any suggestions?


Sounds interesting! I think that J.T. Trading's 404 Spray and Fix is the way to go. I use their 505 and I really like it, but that's for fabric, the 404 would be used for wood. I would get a can and test it out on scrap wood to see if it works as advertised. It should. Here's what their website says about their product.

Q: On what other surfaces can I use 404?
404 can make a repositionable bond between most smooth surfaces....404 will hold on ceramic, wood, painted walls, metal, leather, stone and glass.

Q: How much time do I have to reposition?
Unlimited, 404 remains repositionable. Take as much time as you need.

Q: How long will the bond last?
The bond should last indefinitely or until surfaces become dusty.

Q: Does adhesive transfer from the sprayed surface onto the other surface
A: No, as with our other adhesives, 404 stays on the surface that you sprayed.

Q: Is 404 acid free?
A: Yes, 404 is archival quality. 404 will not harm or discolor fabrics, photos, paper or any other surface.

The only problem I see here is that the adhesive won't come off the pieces of trim. You can try to remove it with rubbing alcohol but that's really meant for non-porous surfaces.

Best of luck!
Judi

No comments: