Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What is a yo-yo?

JMS asks:
I am making those gathered circular pieces to embellish a crazy quilt...what are they called?

It is called a yo-yo. For those who don't know how to make them, here's a quick lesson.

Cut out a cardboard circle about 4" in diameter (or whatever size is specified for your project). Trace the circle onto your fabric and cut out. Sew a running stitch 1/4" from the edge, leaving long thread tails at the beginning and end. Pull the thread tight to gather the fabric. Secure the threads with a knot. Make sure the gathered center is centered. For those of you who like visuals, here's a tutorial from Whip-up.

Did you know with an extra stitch or two you can make heart yo-yo's or clover yo-yo's? Did you know you can buy 'yo-yo makers' from Clover? They are coming out with some brand new ones in June of 2007 - a heart shaped one and a flower shaped one.

So .. there you go!

No comments: