Do you have a quick and easy way to color mohair? I have some plain stuff and I want to make some fairy hair.
The easiest way to color mohair is to use good old Kool-Aid, the powdered drink mix. You can use Kool-Aid on any animal fiber. Here's how to do it:
- Mix one package of Kool-aid with enough water to cover your mohair and put it in a cup or other microwave safe container. The less water the more saturated the color. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap (you want it to steam).
- Zap it for two minutes in the microwave.
- Let cool and check the water - (BE CAREFUL - you don't want steam burns!) if the color is gone from the water it's done, if not, repeat the process.
- When the dye has been absorbed into the mohair it's done.
- Let it cool and then rinse in warm water.
If you want crazy fairy hair, try this:
- Mix up as many colors of Kool-aid as you want in separate glasses (about 3-4 TB of water per pkg)
- Drizzle the color where you want it on the mohair (use a spoon or medicine dropper)
- Press the mohair gently to distribute the color (use gloves)
- Microwave and let cool
If you want to know how to dye your own hair using Kool-Aid read this post.