Monday, January 1, 2007

Styrofoam Snowmen

Terri asks:
I was at a craft show recently and saw some "snowmen" made out of what I believe were Styrofoam balls covered with sand. How was this done and did they use a paint or real sand?

Without a photo I really can't say what it was made of but I do have some ideas of my own for a fun snowman. Most of the styrofoam snowmen are made similiarly - 3 different sized balls that are glued together with toothpicks as anchors. So lets say we have our basic body made. I would get some Texture Magic and spread it on so it looks like snow. Or you could use a white craft paint with a texture medium (that could make it look like sand). Or if you want to you could probably pour glue over the whole thing and then roll it in craft sand (or pour it on).

Anyone else seen these guys? If so, leave a comment.

Judi




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw them at a local craft fair back in December ... I bought a few of them and gave them as gifts to family that live out of state. Now, my cousin is getting married and we thought they would be a cute idea for gifts to out of town guests. We will probably have to make them, which I don't think will be too difficult. We will just coat the "bodies" in glue and roll in sand. They look cuter with real sand. :)