Wednesday, March 14, 2007

How to applique a doll face to a purse

Ann asks:
I've made a flat cloth doll face, colored, layered with batting and muslin. I'd like to place this on a cloth purse I'm making, but I'm not sure how to proceed. Any advice is appreciated.

I've made a couple of purses like this and it's really easy. You didn't say if the face was cut out or not - so if not, just cut it out leaving the face a 1/4" bigger than the batting and backing. (You might need to grade the batting and backing.) Then use a strong hand stitching thread and sew it to the purse by catching the edges of the face and then the purse. Turn the extra material under as you stitch along. Take lots of tiny stitches and it will be very secure. As you can see in the example I added trim around the face afterwards. Not only does it add a wonderful decorative touch but it covers all your stitching too.

Hope this helps,
Sherry

P.S. Judi here ... I'm adding my two cents worth. You might want to
use a sealer to help keep the face clean. I like Craftgard - which can pretty much only be found on eBay nowadays. Spray the face before you sew it on.

No comments: