Thursday, March 15, 2007

Is there a pattern for a Captain Jack Sparrow doll?

Susie D asks:
I'd like to know where I can find a cloth doll or felt doll pattern of Captain Jack Sparrow?


Disney is fiercely protective of their copyrighted characters and if you haven't bought a license to reproduce their characters they will ask you to remove your 'item' from the market. That might be why I haven't found a pattern. Most doll makers don't the money (or the desire) to buy a license. They would probably have to sell thousands of patterns to get their money back.

There a lot of original Jack Sparrow dolls around although most of them are in polymer. I recently saw a wonderful cloth version of this character but I can't find the photo again to save my life.

Here's what I would do if I wanted to make a Captain Jack Sparrow doll. Buy a basic male doll pattern and then use photos to create the look (makeup)and the costuming. The Matador by Claire Ellen might be a good pattern to adapt. Good luck!

Hope this helps,
Judi

No comments: