Monday, March 5, 2007

How to build your own doll finger turning kit

Anne asks:
I need to buy some rods and tubes to turn doll fingers. Although I could buy the finger turning kits through mail order doll suppliers; I wonder if the brass rod and tubes that are available at my local Ben Franklin work just as well. If so, what size rods and tubes should I buy?

The brass rods and tubes will work fine. The hobby shops usually sell these in about a 12" length. You can cut them in half if you want and you'd have two sets. You can get really long tubes from the hardware store and you can get 3 sets out of those. You can cut them with a Dremel or use a little tubing cutter. But you have to bevel the edges and get rid of any burrs. A grinder works well for this. But it's more trouble than it's worth if you ask me (I used to make and sell these). So just buy the shortest length you can find. The 12" would be okay without being too unwieldy.

Anyhow - here's the sizes I would buy to make my sets: 5/32, 3/32, 1/8, and 3/16. Those are the hollow tubes. You only need one rod to turn the fingers with. Just find the thinnest, strongest rod that will fit in your smallest tube. I recently bought one that was 1/16" if I recall correctly. These sizes work great for 22" inch dolls and smaller.

Hope this helps,

No comments: