Friday, March 2, 2007

How to give a french manicure to your polymer clay doll's fingernails

Betty says:
Good afternoon everyone, I just read how to make fingernails for polymer clay figures on this site and it was quite helpful. What I would like to know is what do artists use to give the fingernail a manicure? What type of gloss, or paint, is used to get the effect of a realistic baby fingernail for instance? I have tried many things but they never come out like the sculpted figures in the pictures I have seen.Thanks in advance for your tips and advice.

The "French manicure" look is achieved by putting a thin coil of white clay on the very tip of the nail. The best type of gloss I've found is FIMO Waterbased Gloss Varnish...Jacquard makes a High Gloss varnish, too, but it has a REAL strong paint smell.

Hope this helps!
Dawn M Schiller
Odd Fae and Autumn Things

Online Workshops
Faery Wings
Jack Candlestick

No comments: